This seasons results

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
AllenH

This seasons results

Post by AllenH »

I had 94 nest with green leaves this year, but only 62 had eggs. 59 had nests that hatched young. Totals were 286 eggs, 260 hatched and to date 250 fledged and 1 nest to go unknown number of young. These eggs were laid after my last nest check on 07/09.

1st fledged on 07/09 and last will be probably 09/29. This is at least a week later than I had PM's depart for the south in past years. There are only about 5 PM's around as the rest have left for the year.

The birds arrived in the worst condition ever and maybe 2 or 3 couldn't be saved as they wouldn't feed and could barely fly. I didn't find any on the ground. I fed about 100 thousand Mealworms and 15 thousand Crickets up till the 20th of August as bugs were scarce in this area. Lost a few parent bids to Merlins, Coopers and Sharpshins. Don't know how many young were taken. I didn't see very many attempts to take them from porches but observed a Merlin take several on the wing while they were mobbing the intruder. The birds he took were always veering off to the side and even with him. He would turn quickly and grab them and leave the area.

Hope next season is better for them.

Al

Dave Duit

Re: This seasons results

Post by Dave Duit »

Hi Allen,
I hope your 2015 season is much better. My numbers down here in Iowa were average. Years will come and go and numbers will change, but we all know that if we are in it for the long haul the martins will nonetheless benefit greatly by our good landlord practices. Have a good winter and we will be prepared for the spring.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.