First arrivals in Larimore, ND. Two ASY females

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Caroline

First arrivals in Larimore, ND. Two ASY females

Post by Caroline »

It's Purple Martin Time in Larimore.

I arrived home about 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 24. I was unloading groceries on the front deck; Wes was taking them from the deck into the kitchen. He looked up and said "There's 'a bird' in Gourd 1." Yes indeed; there was a beautiful female Purple Martin peeping out of the gourd. I walked around the pole and saw another female PM in Gourd 4.

There could be more PMs hunkered down in the bedding of the other gourds but I haven't seen any. As always, it's too cold and wet and windy for them to thrive, but they are here anyway.

I think the north-west facing Gourd 1 female moved to the south-facing Gourd 3. Smart girl.

Let the games begin!

This is an unusual year already. Normally my first arrivals are ASY males, or occasionally ASY males with a couple females with them. ASY females were few and far between last year, and this year they are the first arrivals.

Thanks, Perry! I managed to add the photos, as poor as they are. It was cold and raining. I did not want to take any more time and risk flushing the girls from the gourds. If you click on the photos they'll open large enough you can see their smiling (?) faces!
Attachments
My first PM of the 2016 season.  An ASY female in Gourd 1.
My first PM of the 2016 season. An ASY female in Gourd 1.
and her traveling companion, another ASY female in Gourd 4.  I've not yet noticed any other martins, but the weather has been horrible - cold, wind, wet.
and her traveling companion, another ASY female in Gourd 4. I've not yet noticed any other martins, but the weather has been horrible - cold, wind, wet.
Last edited by Caroline on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 14 times in total.
"...Not all those who wander are lost..." J.R.R. Tolkien

AllenH

Re: First arrivals in Larimore, ND. Two ASY females

Post by AllenH »

It's not you I tried to add one just now and says something about quota being reached in red at top. I haven't posted pics so don't understand. It was a photo I had posted to PMCA site and is small in size.

Perry D. Vogel

Post by Perry D. Vogel »

You should now be able to post your pics.
Attachments
P7300919.JPG
Best Regards

Perry D. Vogel
Secretary, Cofounder
Phone +1 (701) 732 - 0246
Email perry@purplemartindakotas.org
Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas
Grand Forks, North Dakota
shop.PurpleMartinDakotas.org

Caroline

Post by Caroline »

I believe there are at least four PMs here now. Wes was watching them at the window and saw three fly off while one was still sitting in Gourd 3. One flew north, one east, and one south. He said one was an ASY male.

Maybe they're sharing info on any insects they may find.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Caroline

Excitement is in the air :!:
Glad your pic's posted, way clear too!

Hope Allen's post as well.
Pic's of Purple sites are educational and an inspiration for "We waiting in the Wings" :)

Jerome

Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Here's my little set up. Yes, it's in the front yard; that was the only place where I could circumvent the huge trees. I'm fortunate that my neighbors in every direction enjoy the Purple Martins, too - just not enough to set up their own colonies! We could line both sides of the block with them!

I can sit in the yard in the shade of the big tree, or on the deck, or in the living room and have great views of the birds. I've just ordered a full-glass storm door, so I can keep the heavy front door open - and be able to see even more of the PMs.

I have two more gourds to hang, another SuperGourd and a Troyer horizontal. I'm waiting on the hanging arm for the Troyer to arrive. I'll hang both of them then.
Attachments
PM at 1607 (480x640).jpg

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Caroline

That is sooo neat, "How Sweet It Is"!

For an urban setting; Appears a "Decoration with live Ornaments" ;)

Raising a set-up of that size and shape, should be attractive to multiple active neighbors and enhance the yards of many folks
in the surrounding areas!

Thinking Purple.
Jerome

Caroline

Post by Caroline »

The pole is really set up square and straight. My camera, or the operator behind it, makes the pole to appear to be leaning.

I saw two ASYs, male and female, go into Gourd 2 today. A second female tried to go in with them, but female #1 came at her fast and furious. Female #2 moved down to Gourd 4.

I saw three females flush from the back of the rack. I even heard a little chattering. I'm sure they got to eat today.

I have a "package" at the post office, but Wes didn't get off in time to pick it up. Larimore does not have home delivery. I know the package is the arm for my Troyer horizontal gourd; we'll hang it this weekend.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Caroline

Do you carry this pic /w you when you go visiting or coffee chatting?

Neighbors n friends, raising a similar set-up, could become contagious ;)

Jerome

Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Well you can't tell it by this photo, but there are now a few more birds at my site. I see four here, (one is barely peeking out of Gourd 4) but three flushed when I took the photo and I know there were some in the gourds on the back.

The high heat and wind yesterday did not to them any favors. We might all want to put our seat belts on; it may be a bumpy martin season.
Attachments
DSC06947 (480x640).jpg