This years results to date

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
AllenH

This years results to date

Post by AllenH »

The year hasn't been the best for the PM's. I fed over 80,000 Mealworms and 15,000 Crickets this year. I started the season with about 85 completed nests and ended up with 58 that had eggs/young. I had several adult pairs that stayed here all season but did not lay eggs or raise young. I have an ASYM/SYF pair that will fledge young about 8/15/2014 (re-nest?). This is my latest ever. I had 281 eggs of which 255 hatched and 213 fledged so far. I have 6 or 7 nests left to fledge. First birds fledged on 7/9/2014.

I have a lot of pressure from Merlins, Sharpshins and Coopers this year. I observed at least 9 birds caught, none from the houses but all in flight while being mobbed. Hundreds of PM's are coming in at dusk and their actions are the same as when they are getting ready to leave for the year.

Hope next year is better for the birds.

Al

SYmywa

Re: This years results to date

Post by SYmywa »

AllenH

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Providing forage, thru lean times, seemed "Key" to PM survival
in many areas!

Congrats! on the number of "Recruits" added to the sky's, considering all
the challenges, the PM faced this past season!

Glad you "swooped in" to share with us, lets hope mom nature
delivers a sky full of PUMA, for 2015, /w forage to boot!!!

Wonder if others have reports or questions to share :?:

Thanks for your continuing effort.

It was good to meet/visit /w you at Martin-fest on the Green-way :)

Think Purple,
JAS

Dave Duit

Re: This years results to date

Post by Dave Duit »

My numbers are roughly the same from last year here in central Iowa. No decrease, but no expansion. I'm also hoping for a better next year.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.