Changing the "style" of housing and it's effect on birds

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
bbbdco

Changing the "style" of housing and it's effect on birds

Post by bbbdco »

I know that Purple Martins are faithful and will return to the same site year after year if they are successful at breeding. I have had Purple Martins for the past 15 years using my very simple gourd system. This year, I changed my setup. So my gourd rack is different, and I now have a winch to raise and lower it. Does anyone know if changing the housing like this affects whether the birds will return? I am using the same gourds and the same pole, but the gourd rack is substantially different from what it used to look like. Since I have not seen any scouts yet, I am somewhat concerned that my "updated" housing will be new and different to the returning birds. So I thought I'd ask the question in this group for a response. Thanks.

Dan Mueller

SYmywa

Re: Changing the "style" of housing and it's effect on birds

Post by SYmywa »

Good Morning, Dan

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :D

I'd guess, if their same compartments are available and location is similar.
That they would readily accept your housing.

As you may have noticed, AllenH reported his first ASY-M at Crookston, so
they're "Wingin" north.

What is your colony size and location?

Our group raised new T-8s /14s spring 2014 and are ready for a founding pair.
Hope one of the Resident experts swoops-in with a better feed on your question.

Good PM season, let us know how its goin!
JAS

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dan

It sounds that you upgraded the pole and arms, but you really didn't change the housing. If you setup the new system in the same location within a few feet, this change should have no affect on the return of your colony.

bbbdco

Post by bbbdco »

Just want to report to everyone that my birds have returned. So I am feeling much better about what I have done. I have read that the best way to do this would be to put up an entirely new pole with new housing until the birds get used to the new pole, and then replace the old pole in a year or so. But they seem to have found their way back and are using the new setup. Thanks for everyone's input.
Dan

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Hi Dan

Congrats's on the return of your birds :)
The upgrades should make management a breeze!
Hope 2015 is a big success.

How many compartments do you offer?

Where are you located?

Jerome

bbbdco

Post by bbbdco »

I am in Sioux Falls. My current arrangement is a gourd rack with 8 gourds. I can add another 8 to it if I wish. In the past I had up to 12 gourds, but the sparrows always took half of them. We have killed off the sparrows in our area, so this year I rarely see a sparrow. They must be territorial. If one keeps at killing the sparrows, the population does diminish or disappear. I am thinking of perhaps putting up a second pole, maybe next year. Our neighbors have been watching our birds for years, and they finally put up a gourd rack, and they have one bird already this year. I think I've noticed 3 pairs at my setup, Not really sure at this point. But I hope it grows. In the past I've had far more birds. Yes, being able to raise and lower the rack was my incentive for the change. It is SO MUCH easier.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Dan

Hope you fill as well, leaving no room for EHS! ;)

A balance beam-bait trap, (monitored) may be a good option, for ongoing EHS control,
thru-out the season.

P.M. have been taking their time, returning to Grand forks/Thief River Falls areas as well,
which could work good, considering the Yo Yo weather this spring!

Spotted, what appeared an A.S.Y-M in T.R.F. on 4-27, but that's it for our area so far!

Please update us with changes as the season progresses.

Jerome

bbbdco

Post by bbbdco »

Yes, we use one of those traps, and it is currently set up. I think we've eliminated about 7 sparrows this spring, and about 40 last summer. It really does make a difference. I've only seen one sparrow in our yard this past week. We used to have tons of them. Yes, I hope I get a few more birds also. But, yes, bad weather can be very hard on the birds, if the insects aren't out. Perhaps the birds are better weather predictors than the humans are! :-)

Dan