1st SY's arrived 05/13/2015

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
AllenH

1st SY's arrived 05/13/2015

Post by AllenH »

The first SY PM's arrived yesterday 1 M, 2 F's they were in very poor condition. I have had several ASY PM's arrive over the last few days that were all in bad shape and very reluctant to feed unlike my local birds. Eventually they came down to the feeder from various perches. They watched the others feeding and eventually joined in only eating one Mealworm at a time till they got the hang of it. Then they stuffed in as many as they could hold and choked them down later on a perch. These birds had a very difficult time learning to use SREH entries but mastered it just at dark. Most of these birds were gone the next evening. I am being hit by a pair of Cooper's hawks and a single Sharpshinned hawk. One weak ASYM was caught by a Cooper's as I watched him sitting on the feeder.

Ordered my 3rd 20k of mealworms and will be here tomorrow. Yesterday they consumed 5K during the day. They show almost no interest in Crickets.

I hope the weather changes soon!
Al

SYmywa

Re: 1st SY's arrived 05/13/2015

Post by SYmywa »

Al,

Congrats on your S.Y. arrival :)
Thanks for your P.M. forage assistance, generosity and Persistence!!!
Wonder if their "Northern Forage" is causing a lack of interest in Crickets?
Are you near your "goal" P.M numbers?
Sounds like we need a "bill" pushed thru, to allow removal of "Nuisance Predators", like
the hawks, from active sites. If their taking adults, one can only imagine how many
H.Y. become lunch!!! :evil:

Moderate weather, Thank You!

AllenH

Re: 1st SY's arrived 05/13/2015

Post by AllenH »

I have 108 nesting cavities available. I have several spare nest box inserts and spare gourds. I would like to be about 75 to 80% occupied.

I believe the way these birds react to supplemental feeding when the weather is bad I may be at capacity with around 60 PM pair and their young. I think forage is the natural limiting factor in the current day in this particular area. They ignore supplemental food when ever the temperature and weather cooperate. I am still holding steady at about 50% of last years numbers. I could understand last years decline, but expected more be here this year. Weather has been very bad for PM's the last two years and only the birds that could make it this far are surviving. I have had 50 or more adults stop over and then leave, probably still migrating further north or west.

I can't explain their dislike of crickets and total disregard of scrambled eggs. They will eat crickets when there is nothing else and they are on the verge of dying. Birds just passing thru (they always sit on the wire away from the actual colony or may perch on the top perches and watch the others feed. Many eventually learn to feed, some never do and are gone the next day. Some try to enter the SREH and give up sleeping on a porch for the night and move on the next day.

Today no SYM's and only 2 SYF's at my site so they may push up my numbers. It would take 35 pair to reach last years number.

They were busy nest building this week. I may even have a few nests with eggs. Will start nest checks next week when the weather is supposed to improve somewhat.

Al