2015 statistics

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
AllenH

2015 statistics

Post by AllenH »

67 pair
324 eggs
268 hatched
259 will fledge (224 to date)

Low egg hatch was caused by extreme cold weather early this season. A few renested. One nest of 6 was reared by lone male ASY and 4 fledged this morning, 2 of those young were found on the ground after being banded. One was dead and other barely alive and died later.

All but a one young were banded with red bands on one leg and USFWS on the other. The last 3 digits on both bands match. They are planing to use this site for Geo Locators next year. There were three banding sessions at my site.

Hawk attacks have been severe this year and they have been successful on a regular basis. All successful attacks I have observed were on the wing not off the housing.

I have at least 8 SYM's that have hung around all season and harass the other birds and young.

Overall a good year though,

Al

Dave Duit

Re: 2015 statistics

Post by Dave Duit »

Hi Allen,
Average of 5 eggs per nest is good. Sorry to here about the hawk attacks. I have hawks in my area so I position dove decoys away from my colony in hopes that the hawk will hit those first. I had 54 pair with 302 eggs and 290 fledged. Keep up the great work and I hope that the numbers increase statewide.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.