PM status update 7/12/16

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
AllenH

PM status update 7/12/16

Post by AllenH »

First bird fledged on Sunday. Found it in another nest on the Gourd rack 30' away while banding more birds. Had 9 more fledge today. So far 88 pair, 411 eggs laid, 278 hatched so far.

Last year's banded SY's verified in Fosston (45 mi) and Bemidji (90 mi) the one in Bemidji has been seen here and 4 hrs later in Bemidji. About 60 banded birds have been re-sighted at this colony to date. More eggs not hatched than usual. One nest had a total of 11 eggs laid, then down to four and Sunday back up to 8, 4 were new non incubated ones. Strange!!! Almost all nests have been very pest free except 2 with heavy mite infestations. Only 1 with a few Bot Fly larvae. Groups of SY still roving the area. At least 8 observed perching on my NBT but didn't go in it.

Hope everyone is doing well this season. Seems to be a lot of birds in the general area.

Perry D. Vogel

Re: PM status update 7/12/16

Post by Perry D. Vogel »

Yesterday the Purple Martins were staging at my site. I have trapped only a few House Sparrows, so they have not been much trouble this year. None of my gourds were used this year, which is sort of unusual. I did find a Red Squirrel nesting in my yard which may have been causing the Purple Martins some concern.
Best Regards

Perry D. Vogel
Secretary, Cofounder
Phone +1 (701) 732 - 0246
Email perry@purplemartindakotas.org
Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas
Grand Forks, North Dakota
shop.PurpleMartinDakotas.org

SYmywa

Re: PM status update 7/12/16

Post by SYmywa »

Allen
If fledge SURVIVAL averages - 25 %
Than sum of the total returned to your site! Pretty finaminal!
Interesting to know where they are.