Enclosed modified feeding platform tray for martins

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Dave Duit

Enclosed modified feeding platform tray for martins

Post by Dave Duit »

Hi neighbors up north,
Two years ago I made a highly modified Bob Buska Oyster Bar feeding tray. If you go to:
http://www.wtc.ab.ca/northernskys/feeding.htm
you will see Bob's feeding tray. I modified this feeding tray by making a much larger floor, 3X3 feet and adding plexiglass walls around the sides. I also added 6 ultimate tunnels around the sides two on two sides and one on the other sides. By adding the plexiglass, the martin could still see inside to the tray floor and the tunnels made it possible for the martins to get in, but kept out the starlings and robins. The roof is on a piano hinge and tilts up for feeding and cleaning of the floor. On my old feeding tray, starlings and robins were eating about 90% of the crickets and eggs that I would put out for the martins. The first year I had the modified Bob Buska feeding tray, the martins did not go inside the feeding tray. The next year I place a few crickets and scrambled eggs on the porches of the ultimate tunnels and also added crickets just inside the tunnel and middle of the tray. Once the first martin figured out it was safe to go inside, the others followed suit and by the end of the day all the martins were popping in and out of the tunnels as if it were their own
cavity. I expanded the floor to 3X3 foot to cut down on the martins sometimes fighting or forced copulation on the older smaller tray. I feel that the martins quickly recognize the tunnel entrances and the food will encourage them to enter. The starlings and robins can't enter the feeding tray and today 100% of the crickets and eggs are eaten by the martins. This change
has cut down on my costs to feed my martins and eliminated the hassle of the pesky and persistent starlings and robins. Since my computer crashed and I only have internet at work, it has been a struggle to get things done. Someday I will post a pic of my modified feeing tray.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Re: Enclosed modified feeding platform tray for martins

Post by SYmywa »

Hello Dave

Sounds like quite a project!
Interested to see pic's of the "PM Diner" ;)

Jerome