Martins to arrive near December 31st or Jan 1st,South Florida

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Dave Duit

Martins to arrive near December 31st or Jan 1st,South Florida

Post by Dave Duit »

Hi everyone.
The martins should be arriving in southern Florida around December 31st. Then the martins will be pushing up to southern South Dakota around April 20th is my prediction for the 2017 season. Make sure all your improvements and housing issues are all in ordrr prior to their arrival. Best of luck this season.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Re: Martins to arrive near December 31st or Jan 1st,South Florida

Post by SYmywa »

Hi Dave

Thanks for the heads-up on migration.
See the 1st scout report for Florida on Dec 24, with many more now,
Including sitings in La.

Best o luck back to the Iowa group :)

Ya am way late, sno blo n hockey games, way busy up here!

Jerome

Dave Duit

Re: Martins to arrive near December 31st or Jan 1st,South Florida

Post by Dave Duit »

I have my frozen crickets in the freezer and ready to scramble eggs if the weather dictates an early arrival here in Iowa. I wish I could convince more landlords that supplement feeding can be the difference in literally thousands of saved martins across the country during the early arrivers. we are very lucky here in Iowa since we have a strong business connection with Beky the cricket farmer who provides us with low cost crickets for the martins. Best of luck this year everyone.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.