Larimore is in the Purple Zone

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Caroline

Larimore is in the Purple Zone

Post by Caroline »

The first three Purple Martins for my 2017 season arrived around 5 p.m. April 29 here in Larimore, ND. The "normal" return date for my flock is around April 23. I've seen them as early as April 14, and as late at May 7.

I am so glad they did not arrive during the last cold spell and snow.

Today, more martins showed up in droves. I've seen groups of 20 or so in the sky over the rack; Mr. Ed and his neighbor have flocks around their sites, too.

The females have been fighting, beak and claw, and dragging one another to the ground. My birds have never been this active immediately upon arrival before. They normally rest, and try to stay out of the weather, after they come back.

I'm helping a first-time landlord near Northwood get her system up and running. She's in Arizona right now, but she had her a double Quad system up and left the entry hole plugs with me. As soon as I saw my birds I drove out to her (beautiful) farm and opened all her gourds. I went out again last night for just a bit but didn't see any martins. She'll be back tomorrow so I'm going to loan her my Daytime Chatter CD. She has an ideal site, a perfectly located pole, and all the potential in the world. I'm sure the birds will find her.

Let the fun begin!
"...Not all those who wander are lost..." J.R.R. Tolkien

SYmywa

Re: Larimore is in the Purple Zone

Post by SYmywa »

Hi Caroline

Big CONGRATS on returnees!
AT-A-GIRL, for your help 4 a wana-bee.

Best O luck, to all U Larimore Folks!

Jerome

SYmywa

Re: Larimore is in the Purple Zone

Post by SYmywa »

Caroline
Did u n your neighbors fill with PM?
Many SY birds at your sites this season?
Hows production progressing in your area?
Any new sites get "starts" this year?

BEST O LUCK
Jerome