Hope all is as good up north as it is in Iowa

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Dave Duit

Hope all is as good up north as it is in Iowa

Post by Dave Duit »

The members of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization have reported good numbers this year (2017). We now have four public educational colonies in Iowa to spread the word of martins. I have 231 eggs as of 6-19-17. I had major reconstructive foot surgery on the 20th, so I have not been able to do my weekly checks. I plan on doing another check next week, once the foot gets feeling better.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Re: Hope all is as good up north as it is in Iowa

Post by SYmywa »

Top o morning
Mr. Dave

Been thinken bout u Iowa folks, while waiten for some report from up
north here, to share.
Good to here about your strong numbers & the efforts you Avian folks are putting forth to start new Coloney's & spread the word about the P.M. challenge.
Hope u heal soon, u need 2 wheels to carry the plate u bare!
Will hop over to Ur Site to see if any wana bees lost that title.
Between u and me, did my first nest check on six twenty three, seventeen.
Way special to see 4 pearly white orbs looken back at me! :D

Happy Fourth

Till we visit again
Jerome

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Hi Jerome,
Good to hear all is well on your end. I'm six weeks out from surgery and slowly weaning of the boot and into a shoe. I will be at the Iowa State Fair giving a presentation in August. By then the foot should be able to handle a few hours of standing. There is a nice lady on the PMCA forum that goes by the handle JRow. Her name is Jen and she is interested in giving some presentations to lake associations in eastern South Dakota. If you could connect her with Perry Vogal that would be a great first step. Sounds like she wants to get more involved with the PM Association of the Dakotas. Best of luck my friend.

Dave Duit
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Mr. Dave

Good to hear ur foot is healing.
Hope ur presentation go's way good!
I believe your post & the Administrator will deliver the Jen info. to Perry.
Always good to have an ACTIVE MEMBER like Jen & yourself to share
info & help meet the PM challenge in the Northland :P

Four PM nubie's to enter the flyway's 8-3-17 :roll:

Later
Jerome

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Hi Jerome,
Foot is healing as planned and should be completely healed 100% by next May. It is still swollen and some numbing in the toes after two months, but overall it is good. Thanks for making a connection with Jen and Perry. The state fair crowd for the purple martin presentation was huge. All the seats that were available were taken 30 minutes before we started. Then there were around 30 more standing behind and on the sides of the seating. We handed out every piece of educational material we had to the crowd. It is a good feeling to know we gained some new people in the martin hobby and educated many active landlords on proper colony maintenance. I try to do around five large presentations each year. I'm looking forward to retiring so I can focus all my attention on martins and running the organization. I hope all the Dakota landlords had a great season and we will keep you posted on our next years earliest scout arrivals.