Moving northward from Iowa.

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Dave Duit

Moving northward from Iowa.

Post by Dave Duit »

Hey everyone,
This is the time of year that landlords start posting activity on website forums. This forum is a great place to share info. As of March 26th Iowa has 5 repots of ASYs in southern Iowa. I know it is a little early to make it a note for the Dakota landlords, but I feel it gives great hope and pleasure for Dakota landlords to know that the season is close at hand. On a personal side note, I have been very busy giving large public martin presentations in Iowa. Our largest group was at an Amish community with nearly 150 people in attendance. My smallest was a presentation of 15 given at a central Iowa Wild Birds Unlimited store.
Two new public educational martin colony satellite sites went up last year. I wish the Dakotans the best this year.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Re: Moving northward from Iowa.

Post by SYmywa »

Mr Dave and Iowa Martin Folks
Sounds as our Purple Friends are anxious to return!
Good to hear your group is spreading the news & making preparations for upcoming Season!
Waiting for word on activities from our group.
Meanwhile I constructed 2 New PM Systems, raised n set the poles last fall, with housing
ready to go up in May. Recently received a request for New system for 5th Satellite Site.
Plan to Test new prototype system /w 6 individual Cubby's on Easy tilt pole, this Season.

Enjoy New Season with Fresh starts all around. :roll:
Jerome

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Hi Jerome,
The martins always seem to push their migration north to the limit with weather; especially at already established sites. Our Iowa organization meets a few times each year at various places, but we don't have scheduled meetings. We meet at Iowa State Fair DNR building, Martin seminar in Kalona, Iowa and sometimes we have an Iowa martin fest with a BBQ. Congrats on the newly constructed PM systems. It takes a lot of elbow grease and efforts to make and erect new housing, but the pay off is huge. Your 5th satellite site will be a big hit with SY martins in the future when they start up a new colony. Keep me updated on the prototype Cubby. Weather doesn't look too bad in northern Missouri or Iowa so far, which translates into healthier martins as they arrive moving north.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Dave
Thanx fer Swooping over.
Must be too early, responses far n Few.
Perry says, New housing goin up in GF ND, 2019 :)
Got a few Sites waiting for 1st nesters, around in this area!
One site had 2 Pr. 2018, that were Rejected by Sparrows, new plan for 19!
Any Friend's visit your site, yet?

Jerome

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Slow in arriving. I had one on March 26th and as of April 14, I have 12 martins. I expect that the week of April 15 to 19, central Iowa will see a big push north with warmer weather in the forecast.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Dave
Yep things a changing here as well!
Temps could hit 50's so Snow is disappearing :roll:
Good luck with your Colonys!

Jerome

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

The words snow and martins just don't ring. Nasty combination.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Dave
Can look out Favorite viewing Window without seeing snow now, so life is good.
Temps hit 63 Tuesday /w lite rain today, mopping up remaining patches n grass starting to green.
PM appear on holding pattern near mid. State, while Mom Nature produces some Forage!

Jerome

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Good to hear snow is disappearing. Bugs and temps above 50 will help.