2015 production?

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
SYmywa

2015 production?

Post by SYmywa »

bbbdco whats up in South Dakota, are you seeing good numbers of birds?

Caroline, anything to share from North Dakota?

Did the Folks S.W. of you find a Mentor?

Did your or other area colonys grow?

Any S.Y. birds hanging around?

Any hatch lings yet?

Did either of you attend Martin Fest 2015?

JAS
Last edited by SYmywa on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AllenH

Re: 2015 production?

Post by AllenH »

Jerome,

I currently have 68 active nests with 318 eggs laid, 117 hatched and 2 chicks at 23 days old that are getting close to fledging. I had an influx of about 20 SYM's raising hell yesterday and hope they leave soon!

So far these are the best numbers for this colony yet. The numbers may still rise slightly as there are a few SY's that are paired but not quite serious yet. I had 2 or 3 re-nesters this year.

I have 2 UMC students monitoring my site for banded birds. One is from TRF and the other from Braham. Birds are supposed to get banded next week by a researcher from BSU for her PM research project. She did geo locaters on some birds in the Bemidji area.

If last years late nesting happens you still have about 2 weeks before this year is over. Last birds fledged on 09/02.

Good luck,
Al

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

AL

Congrats on the colony growth, in-spite of the fate of many "early birds" the
numbers returning north, especially S.Y. birds at this time is inspiring. :)
(An S.Y-F camped here for 5 days but due to the lack of P.M, and a mate, it left.)

The banding project may reveal some real interesting results on fledge /survive ratio and dispersal!

So far bird activity at new sites has been dismal at best and colony's in our area are just maintaining!

Hope some of those "rascal males" check us out.

Good luck on the banding.

JAS

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Here is my late late post response as usual. Numbers were good at my colony inI Iowa. 54 pair with 302 eggs and 290 fledged. The weather was extremely good in Iowa for successful colony numbers statewide.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Your group was blessed to have good production, in-spite of the weather all around.
Lets hope this carries into 2016 for all and that some of us "nestles waiters" get some.
May the aerial competitor/predators decline, allowing a stronger than ever return/production for 2016!

Jerome

Caroline

Post by Caroline »

On my...have I not been on the forum in forever, or did I just not see this post...

I'm so sorry to not have answered sooner; it certainly was not intentional.

...Anything to share from North Dakota?...

2015 was a good year for the birds. My final count for the year was...

12 Pair nesting in the 15 gourds
66 eggs produced
62 eggs hatched
60 new Purple Martins fledged

Did the Folks S.W. of you find a Mentor?

...as far as I know, no. I am going to see her sister this weekend and find out.

Did your or other area colonies grow?

... Mr. Ed had five or six pair; his pole is stationary so I don't know the numbers. He did have fledges. I've tried to convince him to get a winch-and-pulley system. He says he's "too old" to mess with it. He's young - in his 80s; I told him he may outlast me and he should just go for it.

If I stumble across a reasonable a four-gourd rope-and-pulley system I would get it for him myself.

My husband would install it; he already has the gourds, and it would be easier on me - and probably delight him, too.

Any S.Y. birds hanging around?

...I had several of the pesky gangsta boys hanging around, but they didn't do any damage. Several of my successful hens were SY females. I will try to keep a better accounting this season.

Did either of you attend Martin Fest 2015?

...I was unable to attend last year because of health issues. I'm hoping to go this year!
"...Not all those who wander are lost..." J.R.R. Tolkien

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Caroline

Thank you so much for your response, your info. is not only educational, but inspirational!
Any that read this might feel part of a family of folks out there working to grow the "Purple Tree".

Kudos on your 2015 production, nice percentage :!:

Let's hope the Mentor-less folks get the help they need to plant their "Seed" appropriately!
Should they hop on this forum, we may connect them to someone close who can help.

Mabe Mr. Ed will get an early Xmas present? If I was closer, could build him one.
Even a 4 gourd expandable would be nice, for starter.

Hope your health issues flutter-off, sounds like your making great strides in-spite-of :)
Be nice to hear about changes/successes for your group, in twenty 16

Wonder how bbbdco our member is S.D. is progressing and other members here :?:

Jerome