Winter months website slow down. Visiting other martin websi

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Dave Duit

Winter months website slow down. Visiting other martin websi

Post by Dave Duit »

I have noticed over the years that purple martin websites across the US almost come to a stand still during the winter months. Hopefully, it indicates that all the purple martin landlords are busy doing repairs and upgrades of their martin houses during the winter months. This website is much like ours in Iowa and also the PMCA website. Usually about January we start seeing action once the martins start entering southern Texas and Florida. I like to visit all the martin websites to see if any new ideas or what is the next big thing happening for the martins. The most difficult aspect of running an organization is finding mentor across the state, this stems from the reality that growth is from word of mouth and sometimes it spreads slow. I encourage everyone from our organization in Iowa to check out this website and also invite all the martin landlords from the Dakotas to visit ours www.iamartin.org to hopefully become members. We look forward to gaining a few more members. Best of luck for the 2016 season.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Re: Winter months website slow down. Visiting other martin w

Post by SYmywa »

Hi Dave

Thanks for sharing, yes there are "echo's" at this time.
Drinking coffee n sharing thoughts about Purple Swallows fills the quiet times for me, along
with "surfing" the area for degraded housing!
Am presently up-grading a "Trio Castle" style house, including new doors /w SREH entry's, winch and pole guard.
Also discovered a new site, which hosted 2 pr. of P.M. 2015 :)
Dropped-in to Iowa P.M.org. to say hi, please remind, that all are welcome here as well! :)

Jerome

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Thanks for the great idea of checking out degraded pm houses over the winter months, excellent way to help the martins and pass the time.
I will make a note to our members in Iowa to check out the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas. Thanks Jerome
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Its fun when some "Purple People" drop by to chat.
Two on one site, may have more thoughts for the slack times, well they might ;)

Ben contemplating a satellite site, near a nursing home for some time now.
First round, left me thinkin, might wait till have hosted "nesters" here first.
Than spoke to fellow from the dept. of fish/wildlife, who thought, would be good.
That went by the wayside.

In the meantime, came up /w a plan for a simplistic pole/house system, minus the
cable/winch and the pitfalls that go along /w the same!
Built n raised a prototype in my front yard, including a weather vane. It will support
multiple styles of compartments and could be a good candidate for a public site.
So, printed off an introduction to P.M. and casually dropped it by the Home.
Included my name/number, but will wait for a response.
Any thoughts :?:

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

You are much like me in the sense that I enjoy building prototypes of structures fro martins. Currently I'm working on a raise 4' X 4' raised platform robin / starling proof combo feeding shelter and warm box for the early arrivals. Someday i will post a pic on this website to share with all the martin landlords.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Your feeder/warm box (reminds me of the warming house by "ye old skating rink" :)
Should be a valuable addition for your colony and any migrants looking for a warm place to recharge!
The birds will be thanking you as well as all you share your valued thoughts n ideas with!
Might this include S.R.E. entry's /w a transparent roof :?:
See the "Purple Scouts" are stretching north, are prep's n upgrades happening for the new season?

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Yes. This raised platform feeder is very close in appearance to the see through one seen on the pmca website, but much larger.