Rose-breasted grosbeaks join the party

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Caroline

Rose-breasted grosbeaks join the party

Post by Caroline »

Late yesterday afternoon I noticed the first rose-breasted grosbeak of the season. A beautiful male was in the tray feeder I have hung in the tree. He was dining with house and gold finches, all in full spring colors.

The orioles seem scarce and I've not seen a hummingbird yet. Poor things are probably frozen to a twig somewhere. The house finches are gobbling up the oranges.

I have several wrens doing what wrens do best- making a lot of noise and zooming around. I've spotted a catbird, too.

The martins are managing to feed. I counted 14 over the gourds last night. The aren't very vocal yet, although I do hear some chattering right now.

It's so cold I haven't started lowering and raising their rack yet. I do this nearly daily so they become use to my interfering before egg-laying time.

The tree swallows come to "their" nest box everyday just to reinforce ownership, but other than putting in a couple pieces of grass they aren't ready to settle in.

I'm going to impose on my neighbor again. I have a nest box in their back yard - it alternates with tree swallows and wrens; I want to put another one up in thier front yard, near a red twig dogwood, to form the third "leg" of the tree swallow/blue bird/purple martin protocol.

The neighbor across the road said I could put a nest box up in her yard, too!

I have good neighbor's!
"...Not all those who wander are lost..." J.R.R. Tolkien

SYmywa

Re: Rose-breasted grosbeaks join the party

Post by SYmywa »

Caroline

Sounds like, surrounding your self /w swoop n song ;)
You do have good neighbors.
Gross beaks n Orioles are in.
Mrs BB confiscated Chickadee's house and is sporting 4 in-shell's.
She winked at me when I checked-in on her ;)
The TS Blu-Bombers have settled-in to a daily air show, along /w some semi-serious nest
building/copulating. Eggs should appear soon.

Spose the SY's will soon be wingen your way :?:

Jerome