Banded SY's are returning along with many other SY's

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
AllenH

Banded SY's are returning along with many other SY's

Post by AllenH »

Today I have at least 4 Banded SY's at my colony. 2 Males and at least 2 Females. Looks like about 10 SY's total and my ASY pairs are only down by about 5 now. Season is looking better now. Hope lots of last years young come back to the area and start new colonies.

Perry D. Vogel

Re: Banded SY's are returning along with many other SY's

Post by Perry D. Vogel »

Hi Allen

Can you post information about the bands that were put on your Purple Martins last year? Did you use any sort of color bands that will help people quickly identify the Purple Martin's that were banded at your site?
Best Regards

Perry D. Vogel
Secretary, Cofounder
Phone +1 (701) 732 - 0246
Email perry@purplemartindakotas.org
Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas
Grand Forks, North Dakota
shop.PurpleMartinDakotas.org

AllenH

Re: Banded SY's are returning along with many other SY's

Post by AllenH »

261 birds banded in 2015.

Over 50 different birds have been re-sighted at my colony as of today. Birds all have BSU Red bands on left leg and USFWS Silver bands on right leg. Last 3 digits will be the same. I have a copy of the list so I can verify them. One bird was sighted here and later in Bemidji on same day.

Saturday I had 349 eggs to date and 42 hatched so far with 84 nests and a few more with new green leaves.