Looking for a company that will sell crushed egg shells

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Dave Duit

Looking for a company that will sell crushed egg shells

Post by Dave Duit »

Has anyone heard of a company or individual in which landlords can buy crushed egg shells for the martins by the pound ?
I found the jolly egg farm website and requested info about shipping egg shells to Iowa, but I haven't heard back from them.
I collect my own egg shells and prepare them for the martins. But, it takes a lot of time to secure enough for the martins. I have went to food places and tried the collection method, but they are either unable to do so by company policy or they are unable to store them safely and the egg shells can form bacteria.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Re: Looking for a company that will sell crushed egg shells

Post by SYmywa »

Hi Dave

Will oyster shells supply the needed minerals, they seem to be readily available.

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, oyster shells are readily available at farm supply stores. The egg shells are actually higher in calcium content and easier to absorb by birds than that of oyster shells. I like to combine the oyster and egg shells on a feeding tray during breeding season. The females use some of their calcium from their own bones to produce their own egg shells. The supplement egg and oyster shells are a huge help for this reason. I did find the lowest cost crushed clean egg shells online. here is what I posted at our Iowa website and hopefully it will help all the landlords of the Dakotas.

Hi everyone,
Here is a place where we can purchase Crushed Eggshell! - a premium, ultra-pure, 100% natural source of calcium. These egg shells are clean and natural, ready to serve to the martins. This is only an informational thread and by no means has any connection to the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. The following is a price list and place to make your purchase.
1 pound = $5.98
1 pound = 3 for $15.35
1 pound = case of 12 for $61.34
2 pound = $9.54
2 pound = 3 for $24.49
2 pound = case of 12 for $97.96
5 pound = $23.89
5 pound = 3 for $66.66
10 pound = $46.87
20 pound = $88.88
* There are 40, 80, 100 and 200 pound available, but I really think that is a little too much.

Where to purchase online:
http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_hatched.php

* Then on the left side of the page under "site navigation" pull down to "Shop our Products" pull over to "Bird Supplements" then pull over and click on Natural/Organic. Last scroll down the page to "Hatched! Eggshell!
Select the pounds you wish to buy, click on the small icon "add to cart", then fill in the estimate your shipping cost section. UPS ground is always the cheapest way to go. Of course the more pounds you buy the more the shipping costs lower. You can usually select 2 free samples prior to checking out. Click proceed to check out and fill in the rest of your information.

**** I have used this company for years and have never had any issues. All the information provided in this thread is purely informational and it is your choice to use this company. It has no connection to the Iowa Purple Martin Organization.*******
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

Smatthew666

Post by Smatthew666 »

Dave Duit wrote:Has anyone heard of a company or individual in which landlords can buy crushed egg shells for the martins by the pound ?
I found the jolly egg farm website and requested info about shipping egg shells to Iowa, but I haven't heard back from them.
I collect my own egg shells and prepare them for the martins. But, it takes a lot of time to secure enough for the martins. I have went to food places and tried the collection method, but they are either unable to do so by company policy or they are unable to store them safely and the egg shells can form bacteria.

Ill sell you all the eggshells you want!!!! 2 loads a day!

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Just email me your info and contact at dave@iamartin.org and I will review. thanks.
Dave Duit