Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Dave Duit

Re: 2020

Post by Dave Duit »

I have wood slide out trays for my satelite T14 as well as my metal grandpas modified deep compartment houses. We used cedar for the T14, more expensive with cedar but worth the value.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Agree, trays way to go, sure ease maintenance.
Our Original house is a Trio, which gets a lot of attention, was raised in 2002, but has never produced PM, even after Dbl/Sre mod in 2013!? (decoy)?

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

I built my own wooden trays for the T14 as well as the metal houses. I used cedar to build the T14, costly but will last forever with minimal upkeep. The martins are pushing north. I have 5 at my home site as of April 1st. Tomorrows weather will be 65 and a little rain. But, I see that South Dakota will be cold in the 20s. Once that cold wave goes by in two days the future weeks look much warmer.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Well,
Congrats on getting some Purple Friends.
How Early are they?
Yah, our weather here in NW MN was warming nicely into the fifties, last 2 weeks of March.
Yesterday weather thru us a curve, Cool n wet with chance of snow.
BB, Ducks, Geese, Hawks, Juncos n Robins are here Waiting!🤕

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

My trio housing all have homemade pull out trays. The T14 at the satelite site in Ames, Iowa was made on pine with a very heavy coating of white paint. I repaint as needed to protect the wood. Cedar is best when building wood houses, but it runs very high priced.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Yep, the Word was Cedar repels insects, so I started building T style houses with Cedar floors n doors. Than realizing the Cost increase & little Weight advantage.
I switched to building Cedar Trays instead! ;)

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

I built trays for my trio houses, used yellow pine and roughed up the nest bowl and bottoms with a wood rasp. I also used pine to build the T14 trays. My original trays were made with 1/4 inch thick hobby board poplar wood. They ere ok, but over time they deteriorate. I like the simple but sturdy pine trays. They can take the harsh cleaning using a power washer at seasons end. It is also easy to spray a good coat of polyurethane on the exterior sides of the trays after they dry as needed.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Morning Dave
Speaking of Trio House, ours is hosting a young couple, for first time in 18 yrs. On the other side, replaced a Heath Castle converted, with 6 Chalets for 2020, that are all taken!
Sounds as you've a plan for trays!😉
Mine are what ever is handy, always keeping Weight to minimum! Mine ride on thumb tacks, to keep above any residual moisture.
Constant improvement, has put these Avian, in Test mode, since our Founding!🤫