Control of heat and cold for housing

Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
Dave Duit

Re: Control of heat and cold for housing

Post by Dave Duit »

Sorry about my long delay in responding. Owl guards would not deter first year nesting nor interrupt with their normal habits. Best of luck.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Thanks Dave,

If I get martins nesting, the owl guard will be installed ;)
Are owls generally an issue in Iowa, or is it mostly rural?
Are mesh guards widely used, by LL there?

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

The short answer is no. The owl guards will not deter a new pair to the housing. In the long run the added safety will help increase martin numbers at your location. Best of luck.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Owl guards will not hamper new martins. The martin is a very adaptable species. On the PMCA website there is a great owl cage example by a lady named April. If you archive April's Owl gourd or cage you will probably be able to view her owl cage. This is what I use at my martin site.