Join us at the Purple Martin Association of the Dakotas Forum and create conversations or have general discussions about Purple Martins in the Dakotas.
SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Merry Christmas PM fans
Any plans for upcoming season?
New Bungalows n Rack going up here.
Upgrading Barn style PM house, for a perspective, as well.

Happy New year!
Jerome

Dave Duit

Re: 2020

Post by Dave Duit »

Hi Jerome,
Yes. I added 10 more THGs under my four grandpa style 4 plex rack. Also added new goat fencing for owl protection. Goat fence is 4" x 4" mesh size. perches on owl fence about 18 inches from gourd entrances made on white pex tube.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Hi Mr. Dave

Good to hear from you again.
So your still building your Colony.?
To bad larger Colony's are a Magnet for Predators.
Doing some upgrades, no additions here.
If this Colony reaches 23 pr., that will be it for this Hobby!

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Yep. I'm still building my colony set up. I will have a total of 84 compartments for the 2020 season. I wish you the best this year and hope to see your colony continue to grow.
Nest checks, supplement feeding and good landlord practices make for a healthy colony.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Dave
See Scouts are pushing-up your way!
Be fun to hear when they arrive.
May 2, First one landed here 2019.
Hope upgrade Housing is accepted!?
Good luck monitoring your Housing Development. ;)
Stay in touch on Arrivals.
Jerome

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Dave
Any new Systems going up in 2020, for Wannabes in your area? ☝️

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Hi Jerome,
Thanks for the encouragement of my new endeavor on perpetually improving my set up. I only have a few small things to finish before the end of next month (March). I will be adding PEX tubing perches to the owl cages positioned about a foot just in front of the gourd entrances. I will also be adding a circular base for the youngsters to hang out in the evenings under the roof and just above the gourd racks. In previous years they just perched on the metal rods of the gourd rack near the center. This occurs usually near the end of the season as the newborns are ready to make their first migration south.
There are no new colonies or setups in the area, but I did see a broken-down pathetic looking wood house. I will stop by and give them some words of encouragement to get back into the hobby and hopefully get them to update their set up. I always stay positive when speaking with new people and let them make the decision. In the background, I will mentor them .

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Dave
Sounds as you've a Plate Full, with all upgrades!
Surprised U mentioned orbs, hear PM are drawn to wood Housing & /w large nursery n slide out trays & are so easy to clean/monitor!
Good on U, for Mentoring the " slum." Housing in neighboring Area!
Not much Housing to upgrade here, instead I help others get a start by encouraging, constructing n helping raise Modern Housing, across the area.

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit »

Jerome,
There are some pretty nice slide-out trays on the market. I usually try to build everything on my own. I like to be a handyman when it comes to my martin set up. I made 36 wooden slide-out trays for my own metal houses as well as for a public satelite
colony. I actually built the wood T14 for the public site.

SYmywa

Post by SYmywa »

Dave

Did U build trays for Trio style Housing?
Was T14 constructed, using Pine?
My 1st T style house has 8 cubys, with option to add more, was my first DIY, While getting a start in PM Hobby!
Built 2 like it for Neighbors.